Tropical Weather – Isaac
Update: August 28- 9:00am
- Isaac no longer presents a significant concern for the UF campus.
- A chance of showers and thunderstorms remains in the forecast for our area today.
- Tropical Storm Warnings are in place for western portions of the Florida Panhandle.
Update: August 27- 10:00am
- The UF campus remains on a normal operating schedule. No Tropical Storm Watches or Warning are in place for Alachua County.
- The rain bands of Isaac will continue to be over the area today with potential for locally heavy rains, gusty winds and possible thunderstorms. If experienced, the brief gusty winds, heavier rains and thunderstorms would be in association with stronger squalls embedded in the rain bands.
- The current forecast from the National Weather Service-Jacksonville indicates 2-4 inches of rain with locally higher amounts is possible.
- Live streaming is available for WRUF’s weather coverage: http://www.wruf.com/weather/watch-live/.
Update: August 26 – 3:00pm
- UF plans to remain on a normal operating schedule.
- Tropical storm conditions are not anticipated in the Gainesville area and no Tropical Storm Watches or Warnings are in place for Alachua County.
- The UF campus could experience periods of heavy rain, gusty winds and potential thunderstorms tonight and Monday in association with outer rain bands from Isaac.
- Additional shifts of Isaac’s track to the west will lessen local impacts from the storm.
- Current watches and warnings for North Central Florida: http://forecast.weather.gov/hazards/?wfo=jax.
Update: August 25 – 10:00pm
- Based upon the current forecast, sustained tropical storm conditions are not expected in Alachua County/Gainesville.
- Alachua County Emergency Management does not anticipate issuing any public protective order.
- The current National Weather Service forecast projects 5-8 inches of rain in the area through Wednesday with locally heavier amounts possible. Amounts will be less if Isaac’s track were to shift further west. A shift of the track back to the east (or even NE following landfall) will increase the rainfall forecast. Flood Warnings are a possibility for our area in association with the storm.
- Additionally, the current National Weather Service forecast for the UF campus indicates the strongest winds associated with Isaac would occur Monday night into Tuesday morning with winds up to 28mph and gusts possible to 38mph. Updated forecasts for the UF campus from the National Weather Service: www.tinyurl.com/uf-forecast.
- All UF units, employees and students should continue to monitor Isaac and review their tropical weather plans.
- At this time, alterations to UF operations and schedules are not anticipated. However, everyone should monitor the forecast in case the situation changes.
- Updated graphic of county watches and warnings: www.weather.gov
Current Advisories for Alachua County
Courtesy of the National Weather Service
Current Tropical Weather Advisories
- UF Housing Severe Weather Preparedness Information
- National Weather Service-Jacksonville
- UF campus forecast courtesy of NWS-Jacksonville
- National Hurricane Center
- Alachua County Emergency Management Storm Watch
- Gainesville Traffic and Road Conditions
- Florida 511 Statewide Traffic Information
Live streaming weather coverage is available from WRUF: http://www.wruf.com/weather/watch-live/.