Snake-bitten dog goes home after intensive treatment at UF

Published: July 26th, 2012

Category: Spotlights


Two dozen vials of antivenin – 12 times the normal dose – were needed, but in the end the life of a 3-year-old snake-bitten chocolate Labrador retriever mix was saved at the University of Florida Small Animal Hospital. After a harrowing 14 days in the intensive care unit, the gentle brown dog, named Cali, is recuperating at home in Tavares, Fla.

“I’ve seen a lot of snake-bite victims, and some pretty bad cases, but this was the worst because of all the unexpected complications that were the result of the amount of venom Cali received and her reaction to it,” said Michael Schaer, an emergency and critical care specialist at the UF College of Veterinary Medicine. “Usually it takes a couple of vials of antivenin and a couple of days to turn an animal around, but in Cali’s case it was 24 vials of antivenin and two full weeks of constant care. That’s unheard of.”

Comments are currently closed.